Strange things happen to us, once in a while, that we can't quite explain - except to say that it has to be "a God thing". Here is an example... A couple of years ago, Zak and I went to Maui on a trip I had earned through Creative Memories. It was our second to last day there and I was soaking up the sun on the beach while Zak was out in the water doing a little snorkeling. Everything was peaceful and calm. All of a sudden, I heard someone whisper "Roxanne" - I sat up and looked around and no one was looking in my direction. I layed my head back down on the lounger and there it was again - "ROXANNE!" - this time louder and with more urgency. I sat up again, looking around at everyone to see who was calling for me - no one. Something was wrong, though. I dug through my beach bag to find my phone - sure enough, there was a voicemail from my mom, who was keeping our not quite two-year-old twins. Something had happened to Kimber and they were at the doctor - they needed to know if she was allergic to anything. At first, my mom thought she had sucked one of her earrings into her lungs (she was having a hard time breathing and was missing one of her earrings) - I was hysterical and Zak and I were trying to find flights back home immediately. She ended up being admitted into the hospital for the croup. She was in good hands with my mom, mother-in-law and the people at the hospital. How long would it have taken me to find out about my baby, however, if I had not payed attention to the mystery whisperer? - God thing.
A couple of nights ago, we had another strange thing happen. Friday night, I couldn't sleep - had some things on my mind that were bothering me and I was feeling pretty anxious. Around 11:30pm, I finally decided to take a couple of Tylenol PMs to help calm me down and help me fall asleep. They worked, of course, but I was awoken from my sleep by Kimber, who had come in my room crying and saying that she had thrown up. "Not again", I thought. It seems like someone in the house has been sick since the end of January. I got up and took her to our bathroom and was prepared to clean up a huge mess that would have led me back to her bedroom. When I turned on the light, I said "let's get you cleaned up" - She gave me her hands - there was nothing there. I said "where did you throw up, honey?" "In my hands", she said. There was nothing there, except maybe a bit of saliva. I washed her hands and took her back to the bedroom, again, expecting to see a mess somewhere - I found nothing. She said her tummy hurt and that she was going to throw up. She said she wanted to lay in the living room on the couch. I said that was fine and I went back to bed because I could hardly keep my eyes open. A few minutes later she was back in our room, trying to get us out of bed b/c she needed something - I believe it was for some "green stuff to drink". I said "We don't have any Sprite, Kimber. Please, try to get some sleep. If you get sick, come and get me." A few minutes later and she was back in there - Zak and I were both pretty frustrated at this point, but Kimber said "Kamryn's throwing up, too". All I could think was, "What is going on with Kimber? She is acting so weird." I got up and said "Did you HEAR Kamryn throwing up?" "No", she said, "I heard her coughing." I told Kimber to stop trying to wake everyone in the house up and go back to bed, but something told me I needed to check things out in Kamryn's room.
I opened the door and smelled nothing that smelled like vomit, but as I got closer to her crib, I realized she was awake and looking at me. She HAD thrown up. I got her out, cleaned her up and she threw up a few more times; but it didn't seem like a bug - she was throwing up mucus. Every time it would start to happen again, she would throw herself backward and lie on her back - if we wouldn't have been there to help her stay upright, we think she very well could have choked. I went back to Kimber's room to see how she was feeling - she said she was fine. I said "Do you still feel like you're going to get sick?" "No?!", she said like it was a crazy question - like she had never felt sick! She never did get sick and woke up the next morning like nothing had happened in the night. Zak and I believed that Kimber was her baby sister's angel that night, waking us up so that we would see that little Kamryn needed us - God thing.
Have a beautiful first day of spring,
Roxanne
No comments:
Post a Comment