Sunday, January 2, 2011

Blindsided

The first full day of 2011 was a wonderfully lazy day at the Felts Household. We never get lazy days around here - seems there is always SOMETHING going on - so, they really are something to cherish. I sat in the chair most of the day, wrapped in a cozy blanket, and watched (with one eye) the kids play and, of course, occassionally argue about stupid things. :) Zak mostly layed on the couch watching tv, but he also doubled as a jungle gym throughout the day. If you know my husband AT ALL, though, you know he HAD to leave the house late afternoon to go hunt a bit. The only thing I did that was in any way PRODUCTIVE, was wash some dishes and feed my family breakfast and lunch - Zak brought dinner home from Sonic. After the fast-food "goodness" (not), the girls put on their pjs and went to their room for a showing of "Dispicable Me" and Zak and I decided it was a good time to enjoy a movie ourselves.
Very rarely do we get to enjoy such a thing! We MIGHT make it the movie theater once a year - not only do we just not have two hours away from the kids very often, but if we DO happen to slip away for a date night, the theater is not where my husband wants to spend his time - Too many people in there with their phones, lighting up the room and distracting us during the movie - talking kids and the kicking of the backs of our seats, etc. He will endure the horribleness of it all, for me, once in a while, because he knows how much I love to see a good movie. And you are asking "Why in the world is she rambling on about this?" I DO have a point, I think, and here is what it is...
I FINALLY got to watch "The Blind Side" last night. (I can hear the gasps from some of - calm down). Netflix delivered it about three months ago and we just now found the time to watch it. So very sad, but so very true. What a fabulous movie - I knew the wonderful story from all the press about it last year, but the movie was just awesome. And, as I'm watching it, all I am thinking is, how fortunate I am to have the things I so often think I do not deserve. WHY do I have the things I have when there are so many out there that go without? It is a DAILY thought of mine...I struggle with why I have been blessed with having babies while some of my friends are constantly heartbroken over not being able to have children of their own. Why can I afford certain things and others cannot. The list of questions goes on. I am often "Blindsided by guilt".
So, at the beginning of this new year, I am not making resolutions - I am making goals. I want to be a better person - a person who deserves the things I have - a person who will give to others who are less fortunate - a person who will not take for granted the things that God has made possible in my life. I want to be the best wife, mom, daughter, sister and friend that I can be.
I pray that everyone has a very happy and blessed 2011!

With love,
Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment