Saturday, February 20, 2010

Kennabug

Well, as most of you know, Kenna has been in the hospital for a few days now - since Wednesday night, to be exact. She started kind of coughing on Tuesday and she continually got worse during the night and next day, but we just thought it was a typical "Kenna cough" that we could remedy with breathing treatments and medicine at home. By Wednesday night, we decided she wasn't getting ANY better, so we took her to the emergency room. They did a chest xray, took blood, etc. and her oxygen was at 90 and 91 (needs to be at least 92 and above, but should really be in the upper 90s) and so they said they were going to "admit her and watch her overnight".

Zak decided to stay with her at the hospital so that I could get all the other girls ready for school, etc. the next morning...we really thought Kenna would just stay overnight. WRONG! When I woke up the next morning and called Zak to see how she was, I found out that she was in the ICU! I couldn't believe it! During the night, her pulse rate had gone up over 200 and her respirations per minute were at almost 100 - she was fighting so hard to breathe that it was all her little body could take. They were even talking about transferring her to Amarillo. She started breathing easy enough after lunch on Thursday, that they moved her back in to a normal hospital room.

She finally started getting better Friday night. She started eating a little and drinking a little more. They tried to take her off of her oxygen, but her level went back down to 91. They tried again today (Saturday) at lunch and she has stayed around 95 and above! They also took her IV out, so she's happy that she's not hooked up to as much. The only thing left hooked up to her is her pulse/oxygen machine and that's not that bad. We should get to bring her home on Sunday. :) She's so ready. Every hour she says, "I want to go to mommy's house!"

Thank you all for your prayers and thank you to Debbie and my mom for all your help! We wouldn't be able to handle it without y'all!

Roxanne

1 comment:

  1. I know how hard this has been on you guys! I am so glad she is improving and praying that you will be home SOON! I love you!

    ReplyDelete